New Specials

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ret-A_Palmer
Ret-A_Palmer's picture
On: 9 hours 37 min ago
New Specials

So.... them new specials.  I quite like the Jade Witch, but she does really require you to bring Satsuki over Sakura (which is the default anyway at the moment I believe).  She supports hordes of cheaper models like the Temple Bushi/Shimogamo Vipers quite well.  Blessed theme is awesomesauce, Lords of Izu isn't my cup of tea, but I'll give it a few goes to see if I can make something happen.  You could end up with 3 Satoshi models in theory.  I'm trying to make a warband that functions with Itsunagi but it's tough going so far.

The card that truly terrifies me is Amaterasu's Riddle.  Totally bones my Ki-based warbands for a turn.  I'll get a super-powered turn of death next turn, but the current turn would be horrific for my poor shisai/shugenja.  Also Shomyo to Orochi... plz Toby...

KABOCHA
KABOCHA's picture
On: 1 week 11 hours ago

Grrr, the new releases haven't turned up locally yet so I crumbled and mail ordered them last night. I'm eager to see the Jade Witch though and a Shisai themed list (?)

Does it look possible for it to be at least vaguely competitive?

MistakeNot
MistakeNot's picture
On: 1 week 1 day ago

It does.

Ran The Blessed with the Jade Witch and both of her sisters, at 55 rice this was what I brought:

Kenzo with Forked Tongue and Muramasa's Blade

The Jade Witch

Satsuki

Sakura with Healing Balm

Red Akimoto

Temple Asp

2 Vipers

It worked out very well for me, because that Force of Will 2 did horrible things to my opponents. Kenzo fought Master Po and did incredibly well, he then killed Kenko after a Viper finished him off. I put a Death Sentence on Kitsune who had used her speed to close in with the Shisai, after that she couldn't hurt them very well, that bonus melee skill saved them. Hypnotic Gaze just added to the insult, though her Mirage kept her from ever being engaged by Kenzo. Satsuki did die to Kitsune's combo attack, though Sakura and Ayako just moved on to grab another idol.

Meanwhile on the other side of the board the Temple Asp took her idol unopposed while another Viper went after Aiko. Akimoto died pretty quickly to the Oki Shisa but by then it was far too late for the Temple; Kenzo had already killed both strong monks and I had all the idols.

Kenzo with a lot of Ki per activation is so deadly, Jade Witch saved my Shisai (forgot to use her new Unique Effect though), and I'd have been in a lot more trouble had my opponent not misplaced his Oki. But he did, and it went in my favour.

The Blessed special effect was always +1 strength on Kenzo though, he was so murderous. The starting Ki on three Shisai meant I was never out of Ki. Still might be more effective to use more Temple Asps but for now this was pretty amazing.

On cards: Shomyo to Orochi is hilarious. I start with 7 BoO, what the hell would I use 14 point of blood for? Ahaha, no, that card.. no. The Muramasa's Blade is utterly the best thing though, followed by Forked Tongue. From the general pack I like Hotai's Blessing for one beastly turn.. bonus: the back card of the pack has art of unreleased models on the back, a female Acolyte in the Ito's case. And that beautiful card-sized wounds chart is so amazing.

Ret-A_Palmer
Ret-A_Palmer's picture

The Jade Witch is certainly competitive, which is a fairly large reversal on how she worked out for me during playtest - I did impose some restrictions on the Blessed theme during playtest since I thought the allowable models were going to get nerfed.  Fitting her into a semi-standard warband was pretty gratifying though, and it was nice to play dual-shisai again.  If you can keep the pressure up on your opponent, you can easily keep her topped up at maximum (or close to it) Ki.  You should be able to utilize both her Ki feats each turn (whether they land or not is another matter) if you're keeping the momentum going.

The Jade Witch (+Forked Tongue) - not sure about this enhancement, threw it in there because I had 1 rice spare
Ito Kenzo
Naoko
Satsuki
Temple Asp - might be worth ditching Temple Asp and the Forked Tongue for Saburo or Yuui instead, there's no poison delivery service in the warband
2x Shimogamo Vipers

Dark Secrets (2)

Played Omaju (resetting 3 idols) against Savage Wave. Ended the game 1-1 since I totally flubbed an easy Disengage action (dice, why have thou forsaken me?) that could have gotten me to the last objective.  Sad times.  Still, game was good, enjoyed myself with the warband, so I would certainly recommend people try out the dual/triple shisai warbands once again.

It always goes to tiebreakers.

The Jumo Ring - a Bushido Blog

daemonkin
daemonkin's picture
On: 7 months 1 week ago

Do these cards replace or add to the existing faction cards? Have ordered them regardless.

D.

Can we talk about The Squats here? Our Weekly Gaming Group Bearded Dice

Ret-DasLeo
Ret-DasLeo's picture
On: 9 months 2 weeks ago

They add to the existing ones.

All things combined you should have 21 generic and 21 Faction specific cards.

Raynzy
Raynzy's picture
On: 16 hours 23 min ago

Why is akimoto still rubbish, try to get his rs improved or give him lightweight to combo nicely with the new bushi. Jade witch is pretty cool, Much improved and with blessed theme it's a real buff, plus the sixth sense card, probably beSt card we got 

daemonkin
daemonkin's picture

@Raynzy Still waiting on my new cards arriving. What do you mean by new bushi?

D.

Ret-A_Palmer
Ret-A_Palmer's picture

The Blessed theme swaps out normal Temple Bushi for a new profile called a Temple Asp - basically a bushi that does some extra stuff against poisoned targets.

It always goes to tiebreakers.

The Jumo Ring - a Bushido Blog

daemonkin
daemonkin's picture

Thanks Palmer. Ordered some extra stuff from Firestorm Games that's waiting for delivery which is holding up my Bushido stuff. The things we do for free shipping.

D.

MistakeNot
MistakeNot's picture
On: 1 week 1 day ago

Triple Shisai is glorious with the Blessed. Sakura's Psychic Venom finally has a proper use with the Asps, a first turn 2 Ki feat helped one of the Asps kill Raksha over the course of two turns. The Death Sentence definitely helped as well, as did Channel.

Asps are so amazing, and The Jade Witch's unique effect works so well in keeping up the Ki advantage that the Blessed start out with anyway. Three Shisai all starting at 4 Ki is hilarious.

I have considered swapping Ayako for Kaihime with Hotei's Coin, since that seems powerful and the three Sisters do leave the warband light on damage. Which leads me to the question: is the +1 Strength from the Theme meant to be Melee only, or can it be applied to either ranged or melee? Or does it increase both?

arborya
arborya's picture
On: 3 months 3 weeks ago

Hey guys!
I'm also asking if the +1 on strenght due the Thème can effect Kahime's bow.

Btw, the précision strike give armour piercing also to ranged attacks?

Thnx guys :)

A.

yenohoney