New faction?

55 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ret-JamesHasker09
Ret-JamesHasker09's picture
On: 17 hours 42 min ago
New faction?

When will a new faction come out and what will they be?
Im hoping tengu!

Hollowpointdude
Hollowpointdude's picture
On: 2 years 11 months ago

Not sure about New Factions, but I'd like to see new models or alternate models, Lots of cards have multi wound tracks but only one model to represent it, I'd love to see some extra models for those such as Kairai, Farmers and Bushi etc.

Ret-A_Palmer
Ret-A_Palmer's picture
On: 23 min 28 sec ago

The rulebook has 10 factions listed, with some probably extras like the Shadow Wind ninjas (they have a faction symbol at least).  The list is the current six factions, plus Tengu, Minimoto Clan (bear clan, lots of armour and tetsubos, along with ice witches), Jung Pirates (yarrr), Shiho Clan (eagle clan, probably ronin).  I also believe that is the current release order for the factions, but have no idea how I came to that information - maybe there was a Facebook poll?

It always goes to tiebreakers.

The Jumo Ring - a Bushido Blog

Atrus
Atrus's picture
On: 16 hours 45 min ago

In theory the next faction is the Tengu.

Bushido its not about Killing, its about Tactic.
Welcome to the Oriental-Fantasy-Fusion Game.
http://thetempleofbushido.wordpress.com

Ret-Ridmasta
Ret-Ridmasta's picture
On: 1 month 1 week ago

Yeah the tengu are the next faction, next year iirc cool

www.fanplasticlittlemen.blogspot.com

Hobby Blog and Painting Service

Ret-Ridmasta
Ret-Ridmasta's picture

Yeah the tengu are the next faction, next year iirc cool

carados
carados's picture
On: 1 day 6 hours ago

Sounds good - except for the next year bit but oh well, what can you do? 

Are there any plans to release models before their faction is done?  For example, you could do a Minimoto warrior that you can use in the Minimoto clan as well as outside fighting for... whatever?

I kind of envisioned the Tengu being able to do this with the Temple before you went and made Sojobo for Temple only.  

Henrix
Henrix's picture
On: 1 year 7 months ago

Next year?

We haven't seen a single new faction so far this year - do you really think we'll have to wait so long?

Last year we had 1.5 new factions (depending on how you view the release date for the Ito Clan).

I follow the rules of bushido. I am a bushi.

Swedish players, rally to Hokuō Bushido!

Ret-MattT
Ret-MattT's picture
On: 1 day 14 hours ago

I'd say this year too. Probably around some big Con.

The Eagle shares the nest. The Dragon burns it. Join the Black Eagle and crush the usurpers!

Kueller
Kueller's picture
On: 6 months 1 week ago

Defo will be one this year maybe two what GCT have said in podcasts and Q&A. Tengu will be the first in my Opinion and they said the Eagle clan will be the last in a few years.

Ret-Ridmasta
Ret-Ridmasta's picture

Just going with what Master T spilled at salute, they do sound very interesting tho, far better than I first envisaged

Kueller
Kueller's picture
Ret-Ridmasta wrote:

Just going with what Master T spilled at salute, they do sound very interesting tho, far better than I first envisaged

What the Tengu?

Ret-Ridmasta
Ret-Ridmasta's picture

Yeah, I was gonna skip them after seeing sojobo, but after hearing the plans they sound very interesting indeed!

Kueller
Kueller's picture

Ret-Ridmasta wrote:

Yeah, I was gonna skip them after seeing sojobo, but after hearing the plans they sound very interesting indeed!

I've alway love the concept of them, are they going to play quite different to the other factions?

Ret-Ridmasta
Ret-Ridmasta's picture

Not really, just the various faction archetype's aren't what I expected and sojobo is the tip of the iceberg!

Ret-MattT
Ret-MattT's picture

Btw, the factions have showed in the order of presentation in the book so far. That´s the reason people bet on Tengu I believe. If I´d hazard a guess how Tengu plays out I´d say similar to Monks and Wave, i.e. expensive elite models (Tengu) supported by cheap fighters and support (Hilltribes). In fact I imagine the faction to be the most elite of them all as tengu supposedly are the best swordsmen by merit of having taught the humans from the start. Sojobo is no slouch...

The Eagle shares the nest. The Dragon burns it. Join the Black Eagle and crush the usurpers!

Kueller
Kueller's picture

Ret-MattT wrote:

Btw, the factions have showed in the order of presentation in the book so far. That´s the reason people bet on Tengu I believe. If I´d hazard a guess how Tengu plays out I´d say similar to Monks and Wave, i.e. expensive elite models (Tengu) supported by cheap fighters and support (Hilltribes). In fact I imagine the faction to be the most elite of them all as tengu supposedly are the best swordsmen by merit of having taught the humans from the start. Sojobo is no slouch...

I Agree on both Theories 

Deadjester
Deadjester's picture
On: 2 years 11 months ago

I'm thinking Tengu around GenCon.  I'm a little lukewarm towards the Tengu look (I know that is the traditional look and all) although I think if they did something more akin to what you saw in the 47 Ronin movie they would be pretty cool.

I'm hoping they play a little different than the Wave...I think the Tengu = Elite and Hilltribes = Cheap is a given but I'm hoping there is something about them to set them apart from the Wave.  Maybe have a more synergy-type effect.  Either way I expect them to be one of the most, if not the most, mobile faction.

Shame to hear about the Eagle clan being last.  I'm looking forward to them the most out of all of the unreleased factions.

Outside of factions I really hope we see an official token set being released.

The Dice Gods are a cruel and fickle pantheon.

If Bushido were to be summed up in one word I would use "intense". You know a game is good when the tension runs so high you feel like you're about to have a heart attack.

cain
cain's picture
On: 4 months 2 weeks ago

I think if they did something more akin to what you saw in the 47 Ronin movie they would be pretty cool.

I dont know if i would be more scared of creepy owl men or the winged Pinoccios. But iam definately prefer another faction next. One with a different playstyle, not a second temple again.

Ret-JamesHasker09

I hope they make shojobo (spelling?) a Merc model that tengu can take :)
Ofcourse his traits might be changed like difference with grey
Pilgrim from temple to Ryu and have a different ki feat and keep one the same :)

Grand Master 2016

Atrus
Atrus's picture

Deadjester wrote:

I'm a little lukewarm towards the Tengu look (I know that is the traditional look and all) although I think if they did something more akin to what you saw in the 47 Ronin movie they would be pretty cool.

I hope not! The worst Tengu I ever saw >_< Poor film too.

I wish that the Tengu faction will have Crow-like Tengu, different from Sojobo.

dmeep
dmeep's picture
On: 3 months 4 weeks ago

As usual Im torn between Bear clan and the Pirates. Normally I dont care for pirates but the asian twist instead of the PotC or treassure island ones might make me change my mind.

I would porbably also have preferred some kind of birdheads to the long nosed ones but thats what we get so I cant say Im looking forward to the tengu with any great enthusiasm. Its a good version of savage wave or a temple clone. I think that GTC will make them different in some way but how i cannot say. they have the same style in their lineup as the temple&wave with Star players and support/Chaff.

No give me blunt force bear trauma any day over the tengus mentoring of the hillpeople

Or if the jung pirates have forged an alliance much in the same way as the Ito. Fluff in the rulebook says theyve forged the most unlikely allieance but not with what or who.  If its a deep sea kami Ill be throwing money at GTC as long as they manage to steer clear of the flying dutchman from PotC.

Now I got myself pumped up about the pirates again. Yay Fish Boo birds!

GCT Master T
GCT Master T's picture
On: 1 week 6 days ago

I do love rampant speculation cheeky.

1. The factions appearing in the same order in the book as they have in the game is a coincidence.
  2. Sojobo is not a good model to judge what all the Tengu look like (and yes he will have a profile for them).
  3. If you enjoyed the feel of the Silvermoon and how their playstyle matches their fluff then i think you'll like what we've done with the Tengu wink.

"To a real warrior, power perceived may be power achieved."

Ret-MattT
Ret-MattT's picture

Yay, so Shiho aren´t last for certain! Go Black Eagle smiley

Atrus
Atrus's picture

Thanks for the Info Master! :D

I love Sojobo looks, when I said that I would like Crow-Like Tengu for the new faction is just because I want variety. I have faith in GCT, Tengu faction will be awesome for sure ^^

Sojobo will be a "mercenary" model, cool. So its possible to have more Tengu also for the Temple in the future...

Ereshkigal
Ereshkigal's picture
On: 1 year 11 months ago

I'm curious about Tengu, but since i have Wave i fear they'll play too similar. Is that the case?

My miniature painting page! https://www.facebook.com/fullmoonworkshop

Meavar
Meavar's picture
On: 1 month 3 weeks ago

I think the tengo will play much more on speed and skill (I mean skill as in martial prowes and such not nesecary skill to play the faction) then brute force and numbers as the wave usually does. so despite a mix of heavy hitters and support/cheaper models I think it will play very different from the wave.
As I agree most factions do have s feel to them on how they play and I think that GTC does a great job at that. But I must agree with dmeep that I would love to see some of the pirates (while also being more the ninja  over pirate guy) But I think I love the underdog and they feel like the underdog (same reason why I love the bakemono I think)

Meavar

dmeep
dmeep's picture

Cheeky ^^

GCT Master T wrote:

I do love rampant speculation cheeky.

2. .
  3. If you enjoyed the feel of the Silvermoon and how their playstyle matches their fluff then i think you'll like what we've done with the Tengu wink.

Hmm i havent played vs the silvermoon as of yet. I am my own meta more or less here in the south of sweden.

But since you love rampant speculation ill see what i can do....

They live in harmony and symbiosis yet have never abused the hillpeoples trust. That rules out that the food offerings mentioned are lifepoints from hillpeople wich would be a bit to close to the Cinspiracy of the cult ability anyway.

peacefull but supremely adept warriors MS of 4 or possibly 5 boostable?

food offerings payed back in protection and martial prowess. Tengu boost the surrounding hillpeople and also possibly Bodyguard (2/Hillpeople)

revered to a diety like level and the most devout are selected to join for enlightenment

hmm tricky... some sort of blessings beeing handed out from the tengu or the hillpeople have prayer actions they can take that either buff themselves or the tengu

Maybe i could have done better if I had some actual experience with the STS. Maybe Ill get them next. ^^

having a very fast faction is a very dangerous premise. Look at the neverborn, dreamer and collodi foremost, in malifaux 1ed with a lot of objectives beeing movement orientated led to the feeling of overpowered and unblaanced.

If the tengu can reach the objectives before anyone else there will have to be killing based missions in tournaments.

Lightning reflexes and ki boostable movement might work but not a generally higher base movement. Ruin down that road lies...

Ret-JamesHasker09

Nust with e fact they have flight i would like tengu to be a quick hit and fun faction ad then it will have a different play style to the rest :)
Yay for sojobo being in tengu :)

Grand Master 2016

Ret-Randis
Ret-Randis's picture
On: 8 months 2 weeks ago

I have been thinking where to put this, if here or in the Miniature maniacs live show topic(btw thank you for the show), but i think here is appropriate.

In the show we have seen 2 Artworks of the Minimoto. Maybe they are the next faction.

Granted we knew that "Oni"-amored Samurai from the Rulebook but the woman is new, and if you look closely you will see that her feet are somewhat strange. Almost looking like a bird's feet and that she seem to have some kind of needle in the right hand, preparing to impale her wrist to do some ritual bloodmagic or something.

I think that is a very interesting part. Maybe she is some kind of shikome which to folklore are Oniwomen or wife to oni and that would kind of explain the theme of the armored guy.(or it is just me interpreting to much in it)  

Maybe the Minimoto will have a far darker touch to them than we thought. That story about them in the rulebook wasn't a pleasant one, and maybe they have kind of the same deal with darker forces as the ito (only with different ones). 

I believe to remember that the Minimoto guard the cavern where the Oni and Bakemono emerge from(have to reread that) and maybe they are not the only ones inhabiting said cave. 

What do you think about that?

Maybe that "Shikome"-thing is not even evil but the artwork let`s me think she is... 

Kueller
Kueller's picture

Thats Very Interesting :)

TheBeardedFace
TheBeardedFace's picture
On: 2 years 3 months ago

So if the Kage Kaze Zoku get their own faction, does Bikou become a mercenary style model in the same manner you suggest Sojobo would!? 

Ret-DasLeo
Ret-DasLeo's picture
On: 9 months 2 weeks ago

Not sure if that will happen, even with Sojobo. Mikio was our first taste at the Buto and a hint of the Silvermoon's machinations but he solely remains a Prefecture model. All in all, who knows, but I take them as teasers of what is still to come.

TheBeardedFace
TheBeardedFace's picture
On: 2 years 3 months ago

Yeah, in fairness the description of Sojobo states that no one knows why he has opted to assist the monks of the Ro-Kan or why he chose to leave his mountain home... So that really suggests that he has some, as yet unknown, allegiance to the monks which ties him to them over his own kind. I guess we'll have to wait and see. That's 5 ninja unlocked via RoK anyway, so there may be no need for Bikou!

dmeep
dmeep's picture

gtc has stated somewhere , my search fu is weak, that sojobo will get a tengu profile once the faction is released. probably masterT that said it

quazard
quazard's picture
On: 2 months 1 week ago

I hope the Minamoto clan. I like the Background and Tetsubo style.

Ret-DasLeo
Ret-DasLeo's picture

Maybe we should either change the title of the thread to "Next faction after Tengu" or start a new one, since it has gone a bit of topic lately with the Kage Kickstarter announcement. :D

Ret-Ruro
Ret-Ruro's picture
On: 4 months 2 weeks ago

Am I the only one who thinks that the ninja faction idea is pretty bland? They are just too staple for my liking and too stereotypical, not to mention I could only imagine 1 or maybe 2 ninja working together behind the scenes like the actual boardgame, not 5-8 models trying to kill someone in a fair and square frontal assult type fight.

I would like to see the Shiho for the next faction after the Tengu mostly because we know little about them but the idea that they are ronin type samurai and as I read it they are tied to the lightning element just makes me really excited. Not to mention that the only art we have for them is just too cool.

The Minimoto originally didn't catch my eye but when I read their fluff it made me really really excited. Big samurai with tetsubos are not that special but supposedly they have something similar to the yokai yuki-onna(snow maiden) for their shisai and whatnot makes me really excited. They are even a bit similar to GoT's Starks that they live in a cold place and defend against barbarians(the mountain clans).

Surprisingly I just don't really see the appeal of Tengu after reading their fluff in the books, I think most ppl voted for them because of their design but as far as their backstory goes I find them plain. I mean they just look like a Temple of Rokan, but instead of monks they have tengus, and instead of peasants they have some mountain clan peasants indecision. I just hope I'm very wrong about this assumption.

So yea the order I would like releases goes like this:

1.Shiho Clan
2.Minimoto
3.PIRATES YAHARR!
4.Tengu
5.Kaze Kage Zoku

Atrus
Atrus's picture

Ruro wrote:

Am I the only one who thinks that the ninja faction idea is pretty bland? They are just too staple for my liking and too stereotypical, not to mention I could only imagine 1 or maybe 2 ninja working together behind the scenes like the actual boardgame, not 5-8 models trying to kill someone in a fair and square frontal assult type fight.

I feel the same

minoa
minoa's picture
On: 6 hours 56 min ago

I think I'm leaning towards Atrus and Ruro's opinion. I don't hate the idea of a ninja faction but it doesn't wow me. Ninja merc models is much more appealing imo. Pirates and Shiho are my most wanted unreleased factions, in that order.

Ret-DasLeo
Ret-DasLeo's picture

Well, I actually don't quite follow the reasoning that a Ninja faction would be too stereotypical, mainly because I feel that it's exactly the point. When you look at the other factions on paper, you have the same thing. Prefecture = Samurai, Temple = Kung Fu Monks, Wave = Monsters etc. In theory, every faction in every tabletop game is based on a certain stereotype established through pop culture and Bushido just uses a very specific Asian inspired lense. It's what makes it stand out from other games and is probably one of the things that attracted us as players in the first place.

Granted, other games dabble in Asian themes, but there is no other Asian culture inspired fantasy skirmish game out there. The two paramount terms being "Asian inspired" and "fantasy". What I feel GCT manages really well, is to incorporate said inspiration and giving it their own fantasy twist when needed. Sometimes, in the case of the Yokai for example, the inspiration is so far out there that it doesn't really need much of a twist (I am looking at you Wanyudo ;)) and sometimes, things are added that make stuff that seems bland on paper much more interesting (Dragons, Elemental Benders, Fluff that finds it's way right into the game rules).

Sorry for the rant and the wall of text but I guess what I am saying is this: Ninjas are cool, no doubt but at the same time I would not be too keen on a Ninja faction either if that faction were just that. Given it's track record however, I am looking forward to the Jwar Isles twist that is gonna get thrown in there and will reserve my judgement until then.

Oh, & just to be perfectly clear: Go Jung Pirates for next faction after Tengu! wink

Cheers,

Leo

dmeep
dmeep's picture

I both look forward to and dread the pirates, PotC - no thanks. If theyve got a kami much like ito that grants them gifts I hope it doesnt go in the venue of potc flying dutchman. I do look forward to them but thers all kinds of things that can go wrong and take them from awesome to awww thats to bad...

The bear clan? yes please some hard whacking tetsubo rock style samurais? and with a snow kami that supports them? must have missed that part in the fluff but could be cool I suppose.

Something armoured thats hard to kill and hard hitting with probably a lot of wounds would probably be fairly slow wich makes them struggle with objectives. Will they be an elite faction with beatsticks and expensive models galore?

Dont really look forward to the tengu as I already own Temple and a moement based faction have a tendency to become overpowered in an objective based game.

The eagle clan? Until I arrange and win my own tournaments so that I can get enough silvermoons to actually make them put in a grumpy dishelved samurai pushing his son along in a trolley I dont care about them. ^^

The ninjas should be their own faction and not mercs. Why would they want to work with amateurs that will only give them away? As for them working in teams I dont have a hard time seeing it for harder jobs.

Dont know if watching naruto helps or hurts in that regard. Ninja scroll Basilisk all good ninja cartoons.

looking at some of that source material then they can be really diverese and not just a bunch of fit guys in black pyjama.

Everybody gets ninjas! isnt the marketing cry I want to hear from GTC in wave 32 (or any wave for that matter)

Theres been a lot of silence about the 'tengu for a while and since they didnt show up at gencon the next time we could logicaly expct them would have been smogcon but thats gone warmachine only 2015 hasnt it?

Has the KS delayed the work on the tengu or are they still scheduled to come out "soonish" ?

quazard
quazard's picture
On: 2 months 1 week ago

For the gameplay and the following background is my prognosis:

- Tengu: In game terms it will be a nice raprocher the wave. Grosse elite + primitive for many people.

-Minimoto: Very resistant. then either 3 or 4 armor or armor + toughness? Many life point. not very fast 3 or 4 I think tetsubo can stun. They will also ice witch we have read in the BG.

- Shiho clan. Quick as lightning samurai !!! No armor, movement 4 or 5 lightning reflex reflex!

- Jung pirate: No idea. Maybe many immobilizing attacks?

Hakkor
Hakkor's picture
On: 5 hours 10 min ago

We have to remember that CGT is doing an awesome work tailoring a very unique feel and playstyle for each faction. Currently, Prefecture have little to do with Ito Clan and I recall my initial "meh... it's just more samurai with snakes instead of dragons". Even their playstyles are completely different and have little aspects in common.

I'm sure, rather a ninja faction is released or not, GCT will definitely not let us down.

Tengu could be a mixture of Ro Kan with someting else, twisting the playstyle. Maybe instead of many cheap models supporting some expensive monks, the expensive tengu will work as supports instead of fighters and the forest creeps will do all the job. Who knows, but we will surely find new ways of winning and crowd control.

Shiho and Pirates are still a Mistery. There's some Ronin stuff in both, who knows if there will be any similarities between them. I don't expect them to have 100% Samurai profiles. Surprise!!!

Ryumaru
Ryumaru's picture
On: 1 year 3 days ago

As long as the Tengu are brutal in melee I'll be happy. In Japanese folklore, a Tengu on the rampage is near impossible to stop!

I don't mind the long nose Hanadaka style but I hope it'll be a mix of them and the bird headed Karasu Tengu.

I hope they come out next year, I think I've said enough times how keen I am on having a Yokai faction, although Ro-Kan and the cult are both on the way to having that as an option!

Also known as Astraeos on Warseer!

KABOCHA
KABOCHA's picture
On: 1 week 1 day ago

minoa wrote:

Pirates and Shiho are my most wanted unreleased factions, in that order.

I was unsure about Jung until I remembered the Maze Rats from the Doomtown CCG and that One-piece features a crew of pirates. Maybe GCT will take inspiration from these?

minoa
minoa's picture
On: 6 hours 56 min ago

Who do you hire if you want someone kidknapped or assassinated? A ninja, that's who! Ninja are definitely mercs. I agree alot could go wrong with the pirates. I hope they have a more mature, grittier feel to them. The one thing I don't like about temple is the kiddie, cartoonish vibe to them.

dmeep
dmeep's picture

minoa wrote:

Who do you hire if you want someone kidknapped or assassinated? A ninja, that's who! Ninja are definitely mercs..

Well the fact that you can hire a ninas to carry out missions doesnt mean theyre merc models in game.

Moldes with multiple faction profiles in bushido arent so far swords for hire, quite the opposite in the case of the emperors envoy in fact. There ruy, ito or the STS are the ones either tasked with his protection as hes visiting or hired in the STS case to provide services. grey pilgrim and the wave/yurei one isnt really doing it for the money either. Ive probably forgotten a multifaction model.

Youre wealthy enough to hire a ninja clans services you come to them with a problem and they make it go away. Total pyjama security solutions inc are an all inclusive service aswell as deniablility. Your people wherent anywhere close to the incident where pyjama clad gentlemen set fire to the castle poisioned the well and assasinated that uppity vassal that made you look foolish in court last week.

In my mind there are two kinds of ninjas the Jwar SAS that are employed/loyal to the ruling clan and the mercenary ninja clan that takes on jobs from anyone wealthy and powerfull enough to find them and afford them. This more or less rules out any ninjas for savage wave, yurei and temple. Temple could perhaps afford theyre the interdimensional police stopping interdimensional threats so why would they need to hire ninjas? STS could possibly afford it but then its because their own thugs cant succeed. While I can see a ninja possibly hireing sts riffraff to enact a diversion working together in battle takes a lot more imagination on my part. working for Ito and Ruy sure but ryu already have their own ninjas, jwar SAS.

A multifaction model ninja would only work for the Ito and STS in that case and later on Bear clan once theyre released. Tengus are also out on the same ground more or less as Temple. The tengus train worthy humans that impress them with their character. Doesnt sound like theyd hire assasins and spies.

Personally Id prefer that theyre their own faction and only work together within the clan. Who really employed them to capture and influence theese 3 idols? who knows?

Greeny
Greeny's picture
On: 11 months 2 weeks ago

hasnt it been said that the ninjas in kage will be playable as a unique faction in bushido already or did i dream that? 

skrivanek
skrivanek's picture
On: 1 year 1 month ago

At Gencon, Toby (I think) said the release order is: Tengu in the Spring. Minimoto at Gencon next year, then Jung Pirates (unspecified date) and then Eagle Clan (unspecified date).

Aaron

Ret-DasLeo
Ret-DasLeo's picture

Greeny wrote:

hasnt it been said that the ninjas in kage will be playable as a unique faction in bushido already or did i dream that? 

Nah, your dreaming powers are accurate Greeny. ;)

Pages

yenohoney