Kenko's Fists of Iron plus Faith

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
dgraz
dgraz's picture
On: 5 days 14 hours ago
Kenko's Fists of Iron plus Faith

If the Peasant puts Faith on Kenko, can he spend 1 Ki for a +2 bonus on either of his Ki Feats?

I'm not certain of the order of operations.

It could be, I declare +2, which costs 2 Ki, but Faith cuts it in half to 1........

But it does specifically say....X is equal to the Ki spent....which means Faith wouldn't be able to affect it.

Hakkor
Hakkor's picture
On: 1 day 11 hours ago

I think it's meant to be played as the first example you gave. Spend 1 or 2 Ki for +2 or +3 damage. You wouldn't be allowed to get a +1 for zero cost, as you haven't spent any Ki at all (and I recall that was mentioned somewhoere in the rules).

I understand that the cost reduction considers the saved Ki being spent.

But, of course, I'm quite rusty in rulse issues.

dgraz
dgraz's picture

Hakkor wrote:

You wouldn't be allowed to get a +1 for zero cost, as you haven't spent any Ki at all (and I recall that was mentioned somewhoere in the rules).

Yes, there is something in the FAQ that says costs can't be reduced below 1.

Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.
My Photobucket Page = http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj76/grazclan2/

Axiam
Axiam's picture
On: 9 hours 55 min ago

If you were my opponent in a tournament, I would say the ki reduction in cost of 1 ki is the equivalent of getting an automatic ki spent because your cost is X-1.

This assumes that ki feats that use X as the value still count this as the ki cost. I believe it doesn't have a special rule for it so it would follow the general text rule for ki feats, which simply state a feat has a cost.

Therefore, the cost to gain 3 armour is 3ki spent -1 (thanks to faith), thus is 2 Ki. 2 armour costs 2ki -1 so 1ki but as there is a minimum spend to activate any feat of at least 1ki, i would recommend you never choose just 1 armour if using faith ;)

Also being able to boost Melee skill by a dice for 1ki, up to 8 dice, and effectively gaining power attack on top of any other special attacks/ defences chosen is very strong for a single activation, very strong indeed. If I was your opponent I would be praying for a bunch of 6s to limit the damage ;)

Axiam

dgraz
dgraz's picture

Thanks. You explain it very well. That's how I was thinking but failed to articulate it as well as you did.

Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.
My Photobucket Page = http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj76/grazclan2/

GCT Master Enos
GCT Master Enos's picture
On: 13 hours 9 min ago

The answer is correct:

If you pay 1 Ki, you get +2
If you pay 2 Ki, you get +3

The cost cannot be zero so those are the only 2 options.

Grand Master of Bushido (Smog Con '14)

yenohoney